GRIDS- surface pattern design

06:27


I want to use this blog to share my art journey, not only for me to look back on but to also help me build an online portfolio; an easy way for me to direct people to my work in a professional way. Firstly my most recent project 'GRIDS'. As I have always been drawn to surface/pattern design I thought it was only appropriate to create designs that could be used for stationary, wallpapers, textile design ect.

The images below are photographs of my work I have edited using Photoshop to give the look and design I wanted.


 Inspired by artists Sara Bright and Gerhard Richter, I responded by merging the two artists work into something of my own.


 Based on primary research (brick wall) I recreated it in an illustrative way, with a layer of water colour applied on top- colours inspired again by Sara Bright. Eventually will be developed into a repeat pattern.



Using the pattern I found of a drain on steep hill, Lincoln, I used acrylic and a semi-dry brush to create the brush strokes, then using Photoshop I was able to make it more vibrant and change the colours.
The piece below is based on the same pattern, but I used masking tape to create the white lines & metallic paint (unnoticeable online)- again inspired by Sara Bright's use of colours.



Using the masking tape from the above piece, I created what was supposed to be a grid sort of shape using the design of one of my primary sources, below that is an edit of it in negative, edited on Photoshop.




Thank you for taking the time to read/look at my work. This is the first of a few posts I plan to make based on my 'grid' work. 


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images